Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Wizard's Tower is a GO

For those who haven't caught the fever at our separated-at-birth blog sibling Terrible Magic, there's a hot new format sweeping the reddit threads: Wizard's Tower. Multiplayer magic, 250 cards, shared deck & graveyard. Also, no lands. Just play a card facedown and tap it for any color you want. Basically include all those goofy cards and mash up for a good time.


In mashing up 250 cards, I wanted to make a very accessibly Wizard's Tower that I nicknamed the Apprentice's Tower. I have friends that play magic but pretty casually. So here were my list of goals

1) The cards must be approachable. No goofy rules next that isn't explained
2) Multiplayer magic does not encouraging attacking because you swing in once and you leave yourself open for 3-4 counterattacks. Not good Bob. Abilities that encouraged attacking were encouraged: lifelink, vigilance, 
3) You know what doesn't get played enough. Enchantments. Holy shit, my Abzan Guide has +2/+2 and flying?! Watch out world!
3.a) As a corollary, no instant speed removal. Nobody likes their combat tricks getting blown out.
4) Make it easy to spend mana and interact/bluff. Morph is good. Smaller creatures with pump are also good. 

My deck list can be found here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/apprentices-tower/

Here are some ones I'm particular proud of that I think would be super fun.



Argothian Wurm
4 mana, 6/6 and everyone sacrifices 1-3 lands. Who wouldn't?

The player to the left of who plays this can sacrifice a land and then draw it next turn (shared library remember). Who wants it most?

Boros Battleshaper
The Boros want you to always read the fine print.

Note how it says EACH battle. You don't have to be involved to mess with your neighbors' plans. Similar to:

Immobilizer Eldrazi
I do have 3 mana untapped, why do you ask?

Triton Tactics
No see, I was defenseless but now I'm not and you are
The surprise untappers I think have a lot of potential. Make people attack and bluff defenses or have real defenses. Best of all you don't have to listen to anyone argue about whether or not it's good in limited.

Morgue Burst
Never seen cast IRL. Great name & flavor text too

With a shared graveyard, I'm very excited for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment