Thursday, February 25, 2016

MTGO Right Seat, Crappy Cards! 2-25-16

Let's review the draft

Link to reviewing the draft can be found here. Probably best for you to follow along there with my notes. Let's try it!

P1P1: Pretty easy first pick with good removal. Not a lot of contenders
P1P2: What a pile of junk. I waffle between Seer's Lantern and Unknown Shores being most likely to take the cut and I take the Lantern for the grindy decks. 
P1P3: Whoa, Endbringer? I windmill slam that baby. Colorless grindathon here we come!
P1P4: this is where I start to look for 'signals.'  P4 Boulder Salvo makes me think red is open. That's some good removal
P1P5: Bushwacker? Red IS open.
P1P6: I don't love Brute Strength (though it's fine) and i start looking for a second color. I think Expedition Raptor is underrated so maybe R/W for the third time in a row.
Next few picks the red completely dried up. Not even second tier playables But now green comes roaring in. Pick 8 Stalking Drone? That's not right. So I move hard into green including a hilarious three Canopy Gorgers in a row. THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE IN THE PACK OKAY.

  
suck it mana curve!

Pretty happy with pack 1, two good removal spells and a decent slate of 2 drops and some game winners. R/G with a colorless splash I... guess is a thing? need to prioritize some colorless sources going forward though.



Pack 2



Hi Kozilek! This is not the deck for you. Not much great in my colors, I take a Pathwarden because I've been impressed by those jerks.

P2P2: tempted by the birthing hulk but I think my "big fatty" contingent is well populated. Don't need any more. 

P2P3: Ouch! Saddleback, Press into Service AND a boulder salvo. I take the removal but makes me feel like I'm in the right seat. This was probably my closest call; what would you take, dear reader?

Unfortunately I feel like I have to force a few sources of colorless to power the splash. But overall, it felt like I was getting the color cards I should be getting.

Pack 2 (P2P1: Tajuru Pathwarden)



Pack 3 BFZ!


  

Not enough colorless creatures to make the Tyrant work, but the Endless One is at home in any deck! 

This pack felt  strange. Starting in P3P4, it started feeling like green and red were getting cut VERY hard. P3P4 Skyspawner, P3P6 Cloud Manta and basically no red to speak of. So I think someone moved in on me, but I was pretty much committed at this point. I eke out a few playables.


Deckbuilding

I have to reach for playables to a degree. I run a decent curve (helpful that Endless One can go anywhere) Note: I still can't figure out how to export my deck properly. Very confused.


Going to wrap this up, but I'll try and post some "keep or mull" thoughts later. Overall the deck seems... fine. I honestly don't think I missed a signal and wonder if someone on my left brutally cut in. I went 2-1, and that was a bit lucky since twice I had opponents just eat manascrew. I was happy enough with the deck but it definitely lacked a definitive oomph. 

1 comment:

  1. So I'm really digging the new draft presentation system. It has one problem which is the "all play picks section", it spoils the pick. But I think I can muster up some discipline and avert my eyes.

    Good work Jed! I feel like this is a level up for the blog.

    ReplyDelete