Monday, October 12, 2015

Lacking a punchline

Pack 1 Pick1

Complete Disregard Encircling Fissure Forerunner of Slaughter Brutal Expulsion

This is a pretty tough call imo. The power level is pretty high on Brutal Expulsion but I really don't like taking a gold card dead first. I went with pretty solid removal with Complete Disregard, a card that will go into any black deck on the planet.


Pick 2

Smite the Monstrous Kozilek's Channeler Coastal Discovery

Three other solid cards. I think coastal discovery has the highest upside but I also really like the Channeler as well. Went with the colorless channeler.

Pick 3

Guardian of Tazeem Kozilek's Channeler Touch of the Void

Hey now! Not entirely sure how the Guardian slipped through two previous choices (I'm having a hard time picturing an uncommon better than this). I snap it up and start looking for more blue.

Pick 4

Encircling Fissure Lithomancer's Focus Courier Griffin Lifespring Druid Incubator Drone

That strikes me as a LOT of pretty good white coming down. Incubator Drone is also pretty good (4 mana for 3/4 isn't shabby by any means) but I take the quality white removal. Maybe there will be more!


Well, maybe not. A lot of green started coming down, including the solid Eyeless Watcher and a SHOCKINGLY late Lifespring Druid. So I'm definitely thinking green, maybe blue.


Pack 2 Pick 1

Windrider Patrol Murasa Ranger

I like both of these cards but I think the Windrider has overall better power. I also am definitely nowhere near an aggressive landfall deck.

Pick 2

Fathom Feeder Dampening Pulse Catacomb Sifter

Ooooooh, this is a LOT rougher of a call. I take the sifter, as it looks like more of a sure thing. But I think, given my lack of commitment to, well, anything, I should have taken the Fathom Feeder for general badassery and control advantage.

Pick 3

Evolving Wilds Rising Miasma

I'm getting a little worried about my mana base but the board presence of Rising Miasma is too much to resist.



Blue completely and BAFFLINGLY dried up. Lots of good black and some decent green. I'm very worried that I don't know what I'm going for in pack 3.

Pack 3 Pick 1
Skyrider Elf Rolling Thunder Aligned Hedron Network

Grooosssss. The hatedraft potential is high, but Aligned Hedron Network doesn't speak to me. I take the elf. The drafting goes downhill pretty quickly with green returning but the blue and black getting cut pretty hard.



Take a look. See anything missing?

Two Drop

     





Three Drop

     

Four Drop

   

Five Drop

 



   

      x6
 x3
 x7

If you said "a way to win the game" then you win!! I was drafting the three colors that spawn Scions to help make an Eldrazzi happen. But there's no Eldrazzi. So as near as I could tell, my best option was to splash blue for double-blue fliers. Yup, splashing for double blue. I don't think... I don't think that's good. Also, not shown, about 4-5 extra three and four drops. So I didn't show the critical picks where I could have chosen a common eldrazzi (I definitely saw a few of the commons go by) but instead grabbed a 3 or 4 drop.

Was I in the wrong colors? Here's the table from what I recall

Green/white   green/red   (Me)  White/red  Blue/black

So the signals of a lot of green in 1 & 3 makes sense, but where on EARTH was the blue and black in pack 2? That remains a little baffling.

So I learned an important lesson: you have to prioritize eldrazzi if your deck's only win condition is landing a fatty. Like a green/black sacrifice deck is wont to do.








No comments:

Post a Comment