Sunday, April 26, 2015

Draft & recap, 4-25-15

Back in the saddle and seated at a surprisingly normal 8 person pod. Can't ask for too much more than that. Except my note binder went missing, so I can't share some of my quandries.

Pack 1


Not... the strongest layout. Also getting some very confusing signals. But a pick 7 Twin bolt and pick 8 Vulturous Aven makes me think that red/black is the place to be. Alright, sounds good to me!







Pack 2



Well you can't get too much luckier than opening up a Thunderbreak Reagent and being passed an Atarka Efreet. Unfortunately the black is pretty dry (though I do like Damnable Pact for either replenishing my hand or finishing an opponent) Also my speculative Impact Tremors for a dash deck have a nortorous lack of dash creatures to pack it up. Still, I'm feeling great about my red. Just not sure about if my off color is green or black.

Pack 3



Well I guess the red is pretty much locked in then! The Bloodfire Enforcers have 2-3 sorceries and instants to trigger off, so I guess that's a thing. I get some 2 drops to fill in, and we're off to the deck.


Two Drop


       

Three Drop


     

Four Drop


    

Five


   

Six Drop




Sideboard

  

Honestly, I was pretty happy with the deck. 4 sources of hard, damage removal along with a Temur Battle Rage and Silumgar Butcher. Curve seems decent, though I could be happier with my two drops (only 5 creatures). They seem a little soft. I ended up running 17 lands, because I just don't have the stones for 16 land, though maybe I should have. 10 Mountains, 7 swamp.

Draft Layout

Going clockwise (so Robert was passing left to me)

Robert Red/Green

Jed Red/Black

Chris Sarkhan-stall (mostly blue with some red and green)

Forrest Red/black

Max White... thing.

Cameron Blue/White prowess

Chris Green/Black

David White/Green

Blue severely under drafted with green, red, and black all well populated.

Match Recaps

I really think my deck underperformed a little. I faced the Sarkhan-stall deck first. Honestly, it wasn't a bad plan per se.

   

Along with some ground durdling creatures. So he just sat there, stalled out the board state until Sarkhan landed and then go win. I felt like my deck was perfectly suited to crush this fool insolently... but I had to mulligan twice and I never curved out. He should have beat me all three times and the only time I scored a game off of him when he didn't realize that my Kolaghan Forerunners Trampled and didn't block wisely. Super frustrated.

Fortunately, after that, my deck woke up in the losers bracket and just went bananas. Finished 4-0 and just had perfect beats for days. None of the other games ever really came close.

Awards

MVP
Saw a lot of him and he never failed to disappoint. <3.

MIA
Not only never cast, never even drawn. I was so excited too, had 3 sorceries and 4 instants to try and activate him. Bah

Biggest Surprise
Honestly, this guy was great quadrant player. I would cast him on myself for a 5 drop to draw three cards to try and pump up my deck. One time he was the perfect finisher (only turned out never to be needed). Not a windmill slam, but surprisingly flexible.



No comments:

Post a Comment