Tuesday, August 19, 2014

M15 Draft Match Report

Welcome back. Here is a link to the post detailing the draft. For those just joining you should head over and see what we've got. Let's Go!

Round 1: I got the bye. Super Lame. W (1-0)




Round 2: I played a super annoying 20 year old kid. In game one he mulled. We got off to a pretty normal start. He was green white and got some early stuff down. He was applying pressure and I decided to trade away in an effort to keep his convoke action at bay. On turn four he dropped a rare on me

Return to the Ranks

Marshall and Brian told me not to be to worried about this guy. But he returned his 1,2, and 3 drop with it and I felt pretty bad. Then I played a 2/3 and another 2/3 and he was iced out. Eventually he got a Triplicate Spirit but I had my Nightfire Giant online.

Triplicate Spirits < Nightfire Giant

Basically the script for the game was as follows. He got some quick stuff out and ground me down to 4. But I had enough time to stabilize and crushed him. Win.

Game two was identical to game one except it was my turn to mulligan. This time he again ground me down to four but I wasn't worried, I had my Hornet Queen. Sadly I never got that 3rd green source. There were nine in my deck and he killed me on turn 10. I felt a little jobbed. His hand was empty so I knew everything he had and the queen would have easily locked it down.

Game three he mulliganned twice. I'm not going to waste any time going through the details. Again he came out quick but my card advantage was overwhelming. W 2-1 (2-0)

I should also mention that this dude was rocking the charge and an annoying priest


Selfless Cathar Sanctified Charge

I think time and the recent pro tour have shown that these cards are the real deal. However I knew about the Charge and was able to see it coming a mile away every time. So I was able to limit the damage from it and it became awkward for my opponent because five is a ton of mana. I suspect as the format develops this card's value will


Plummet

Round 3: This was pretty strange. My opponent dropped a turn 2 welkin tern and I responded with a satyr wayfinder.

Welkin Tern  Satyr Wayfinder

I continue my plan and mill myself a bunch more. He bounced my way finder and I dropped the 3/1 zombie dude who mills for three. Then my opponent drops a

Mind Sculpt

and then he asks how many cards I have. The answer was 9. Then on his next turn he drops a

Mind Sculpt

Uh oh. However he had nothing else going and I kill him on my next turn after drawing the last card in my deck.

He was 2-0 so far in the tournament so I was super stoked that he got some wins with the mill deck. Game two starts off exactly the same way. But this time I'm wise to the Sculpt so I limit my self mill. He manages to fire two of them off but I kill him with 6 cards left. Turns out he had 3 Sculpts so I was actually possibly close to dying. His deck really had nothing else in it and he had no walls, it was weird. W 2-0 (3-0)

Round 4: Despite having not earned my 9 points there I sat. There were three people in the tourney with 9 points. One of the others was my friend Jed. Way to go us! Sadly we did not get paired in the last round. I got matched with the other 9 win guy and Jed got paired with that kid I beat in round 2.

Unfortunately my opponent had a mono red aggro deck (despite having two islands in it). And he steamrolled me both games. It wasn't as bad as that dude with the mono white deck who rolled me in my last draft. But it still felt awful. It also did not help that I mulled in both games and he did not.

I mentioned earlier that my deck was a little soft to early rush. I had no
Wall of Frost or Coral Barrier

A couple of those would have shored me up (sadly I was in Green Black) and I think I could have pulled out  the victory. I could search the gatherer to see what GB should take for this slot but I'm too lazy.I did manage to Rotfeaster for Rotfeaster in game two

Rotfeaster Maggot for Rotfeaster Maggot

Which was sweet, but he just had too much gas for me. Ok so maybe those blue blockers wouldn't have helped me.

His deck was highlighted by the following

Lightning StrikeLightning StrikeLightning StrikeHeat Ray

oh and a

Cone of Flame

yeah that blew me out in both games. Gross. L 0-2 (3-1)


Recap: The upside was that he was in my pod. So I was at least a little responsible for it. Maybe I should have pulled a Lightning Strike or the Heat Ray, I did have a toe in red after all for that Nightfire Giant. I totally passed the Cone of Flame because it was double red. Perhaps I should have hate drafted it. IDK. Thoughts?

I had a blast playing green black. The self mill was fun and the graveyard recursion was sweet card advantage. Playing Feral Invocation was as good as advertised. But my favorite card was easily the

Satyr Wayfinder and the Satyr Wayfinder

I know it's a bit Rotty but the number of times that guy got me out of a string of lands or fixed my mana up was basically every game. I think this guy is the real deal.

Comment me up on stuff you disagree with. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment