Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Basic Lands Obsession: and then there was one...

A few years ago I went through and definitively, scientifically really, selected the swaths of basic lands to use in draft decks. I committed to a chronological order of my Magic experience: Unlimited, Ice Age, Mirage, Tempest, and Urza's Saga. Thus both a connection to the past and a gateway to the future as well as limiting the data set so I didn't have to agonize over whether or not the cup island in the future I covet.
Island
So very sweet, so very confusing



But I have since been informed by LSV that my careful balance of *all* the different art from each set is not proper magic etiquette. I need to commit to a single piece of art for each type of land. This actually makes sense, especially for the older sets, where thematic coherence wasn't yet fully developed. I think you could get black, blue, green and maybe even white out of any given swamp from Mirage.

Swamp Swamp
Swamp Swamp

So lush! Anyway it's time to go back and pick the best SINGLE piece of art from each land for each set.

Plains

As before, plains is locked into Unlimited. It remains my first crush and to this day any time I get to draft white I feel like I already won in my heart.

Plains Plains Plains

Just... timeless really. Of the three I think the two finalists are the storm (A) and dotted trees (C). I went with the storm, it just has a little more oomph. And god knows that white needs the help to get there sometimes.

Forest

This post is mostly designed for well-deserved and long-delayed acknowledgement for Brent. He was right then, and he is right now. I will never doubt him again.
Forest
Mic drop

Island

Previous we had the extremely sweet set of 'progressive storm' from Urza's Saga.
Island Island Island Island

So very cool, solid work by Mr. Giancola. However, like a good team, each one needs its teammates to really shine. Without that, they start to falter behind a major dark horse candidate.

Island

SO COOL. I still remember when this came out. Any land with nostalgic memory that powerful is a strong strong front runner. Wait, there is another...

Island

There's a DRAGON in your island. Mind. Blown. Well let's see how the rest of the set shakes out as we need to maximize overall EV. This is the first major fork in the road.

Mountain


Here's where we start reaching. Sadly, we lose access to the strong set of Tempest mountains due to the overwhelming force of the stand-alone forest. Worth noting.
Tempest: Mountain (A) Tempest: Mountain (B) Tempest: Mountain (C) Tempest: Mountain (D)

(the correct choice above would be C, the arch, fyi)

Ice Age has some game...

Mountain Mountain Mountain

I like the first one, nice landscape feel. Let's take a look at Urza's Saga

Mountain Mountain Mountain Mountain

Jesus Rothko (that was an art joke), ease up on the palette choices there. I've looked at these several times now and I still can't tell them apart.

Swamp


Again we slip down to a slapfight between Urza's Saga and Ice Age.
Swamp Swamp Swamp Swamp

versus this collection

Swamp Swamp Swamp

Ugh, veritable who's who of who cares. I guess I'd go with the purple swamp (4) and the moonlit path (3) of Ice Age.

There's also another dark horse, the 'moonlit swamp' from Mirage which I think is pretty cool.

Swamp

So let's put it to the voter (or even voters if I get more than one response)

Slate A:
Plains Forest Island
 Mountain Swamp

Slate B
Plains Forest Island
Mountain Swamp

Slate C
Plains Forest Island
Mountain Swamp

A little more unorthodox, dropping the Tempest forest for mountain would give us something like:
Plains Forest Island
Tempest: Mountain (C) Swamp

I think that's a little too steep of a dropoff on forest for the mountain gain.

LANDS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS







7 comments:

  1. I'm going with D, I don't share the same love for the tempest forest that you do and I feel like that slate has the strongest mountain. Also, the 'sun forest' from ice age is one of my favs anyway. I use the dark lightning storm sea from urzas saga for all my blue decks but damn if I'm not gonna switch to the first in that series! Holy cow it's beautiful. Also the B ice age mountain is gorgeous! Might have to go oracle spelunking to come up with a list of my own! Great read dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I put D together I was impressed. But I really love that Tempest forest, I think it's one of the flat-out best forests that capture's that feel of 'looking up' into the trees.

      I didn't feel the "B" Ice Age mountain played very well IRL. The purple came off a little hokey. However, since we got deluged with basic lands in the old days of magic I've got a stack of them to send to you if you want to roll with the old ways.

      One thing I glossed over is that the Urza's Saga plains are absolutely FANTASTIC. If I wasn't locked into Unlimited I'd definitely go that way.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, as far as looking up into a fantasy forest, that one definitely captures that very well. I think forests are just lack luster in general and are 5th/5 on my "coolest basic lands" list, plains squeaking in right above them. Though maybe its just cause I'm a total control player, idk lol. And I would greatly appreciate some of those Ice age mountains if you got some to spare!!!! thanks dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, (and I disagree,) but doesn't LSV say white bordered lands are hideous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white-border hate is objectively reasonable but Unlimited was my first love so I must remain true to the old ways.

    I'll toss a pack of the "B" Ice Age mountain in my nerd backpack. I'm out of town this weekend but I'll hand them off. 12 sufficient?

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 U, Jed!

    slate a but with the ice age or mirage swamp from b or c, dealers choice.

    tempest forest, mirage island, ice age mountain in slate a are top of my list as well.

    and as an aside, just about every photo i take for artwork purposes features strong diagonal lines converging to a vanishing point like the shuler forest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. first of WUBRG or GTFO!

    ok but whatever. Clearly B.

    ReplyDelete