Sunday, November 13, 2016

Magical Christmasland draft! 11-12-16

Looking to escape from the election news cycle, the Gamma Ray was pretty crowded this Saturday. Ended up being three pods, an eight and two sixes. Fortunately I was at one of the sixes instead of the big kids' table. Ended up being hilarious.





I first pick a Pia Nalaar, a totally respectable and flexible pack 1. I get passed a Longtusk Cub, one of the more busted uncommons. Then passed a whirler virtuoso which I take based off listen to LSV calling it one of the more busted bombs of the set. Which is funny, because it looks pretty unassuming.

Whirler Virtuoso
Looks so innocent

I mean, 3/4 worth of stats for 3 mana is good, but busted? I guess we'll see.

 Also shocking was a seed sculptor at pick 9. Yes six-person pods have goofy distribution but that's a premier common in the deepest, most flexible color. So I am feeling good in R/G something-or-other. Also two pieces of fixing, always handy.


The good luck continues with opening a Rashmi (a card that basically reads draw a card every time you cast a spell. Oh, sometimes you get to cast that spell for free. wth) and the world's best energy generator with the Flampler AND another Whirler Virtuoso. This... is going to be a special draft it feels. I can't recall what I took the Chief of the Foundry over, but at that pick I *knew* I was locked in to an energy deck of some kind, there was no need to go into artifacts, even good ones.

Pack 3, I make my first mistake.

Decoction Module Prophetic Prism

Is my first pick choice. The Decoction Module in this deck is absolutely disgusting. Creating thopters gives me energy, I bounce my energy generating cards for more energy and I can protect key cards from removal. But Prophetic Prism is solid fixing. And I'm staring at a three color base. I got greedy and choose the Module. What's funny is there was a straight-line lesson. I lose a game 1 because I don't draw mountains but I *do* draw my decoction module! The next game I absolutely hammer him 20-0 by drawing the whirler & decoction and just machine-gun out thopters all day long.


The final deck is pretty hilarious.

Tapped Out Link

The overall quality of cards is just ridiculously high: my worst 3-drop is Aethertorch Renegade I think, and that card is amazing. The curve is a little off and as I mentioned, the fixing. I got greedy and tried to wheel a Wild Wanderer somewhere in pack 3 and somehow it didn't come around. Which was bad. I also drafted a number of cool artifact matters cards, and maybe I should have played the Chief of the Foundry (2/2 thopters!) but I didn't know where to even put it.

Unfortunately I go 2-1 with this masterpiece, with my only losses coming from not drawing mountains. The fixing! The fixing matters! Super fun deck though, definitely a memorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment