Sunday, September 27, 2015

Zendikar Pre-release! 9-26-15

Let's freaking do this!!!! Some interesting notes is that they are no longer seeding color packs: it's straight up 6 packs plus a randomized promo card. Also, they switched to a mulligan scry. If you mull any number of times, you get a free Scry 1 before your first draw step.

Pretty quickly I was able to narrow it down to three colors. Let's take a look:



Red! 


 

  
   

  

9 playable creatures, 4 removal and a combat trick. Of the playables, we have three 2-drops.

Grrrreen



        

5 creatures, 1 combat trick, 2 land-hunting. One creature is a 2-drop (sort of)

White!
            

6 creatures, 4 removal and three combat tricks. Two 2-drops.

Also of relevance:
   

A stone-cold bomb, a nice 4 drop, and an on-color dual land (never bad).

I really wanted to go red/white, I really did. Sweet combat tricks, super solid removal: let's fucking dance. But only five 2-drops (and one of those a life-gaining 1/3) I don't think an aggressive deck makes. So instead I went for a heavy land-fetching, red/green landfall mess. I was worried that it wasn't fast enough to be fast nor big enough to be slow, but I think it's the better deck. Basically try and hold on and stick one of my two bombs.

Deck!

Once in red/green, it was pretty straight forward. The only hard cuts were one of the Stonefury (five mana removal) and the 2/4 Giant Spider (insufficient aggression and/or ramp)

Creatures (16)

   
  
    
 
 

Spells (7)

      

Lands (17)

   x9  x6


Stay tuned next week (or, uh, tomorrow) for a match recap and some of the hilarious cards I bumped into.

No comments:

Post a Comment