Thursday, May 1, 2014

How I play games

A little while back Brian Kilber ...

yes, that Brian Kibler.
Wrote a blog post about how he games. For those who don't know he is a pure spike. I previously railed against him for saying the hero powers in hearthstone made 1 toughness minions obsolete. I think Loot Horder begs to differ.

Loot Hoarder(395) Gold.png
mind if i roll need?

Anyways this newest post just highlights why I will never have a good win percentage in magic. Check it out:

Perhaps the most unusual game that I became obsessed with was Baseball Stars. I wasn’t much of an athletic kid, nor did I care much for watching sports, so generally a baseball simulation game wasn’t something that would appeal to me. But Baseball Stars had a different element than just pitching and hitting and fielding. It had a career mode, in which you could manage a team through a season, hire and train new players, and try to make your team the best it could be.


It actually starts out ok. Seeing as I myself prefer the GM part of sports games over the actual playing of the game. But then it goes off the rails:

I also realized that the money that my team earned for a game ... didn’t change whether I played against the computer or against another player. ...  So I ... struck out all of the opposing team’s batters, then walked all of my batters until I had enough runs to win by the mercy rule.
Did you see what happened there. He likes the GM mode so he found a way to skip through the game part. But then if your team always wins who cares what players are on the team? I don't even know where to start. But maybe it's just because he was a kid and he's grown up since then.

I was nine years old. Not much has changed about the way I play games since then.
Never mind. Oh an then he also says:


I fell in love with Nobunaga’s Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms [ed: a super sweet game if I do say so myself] ... I quickly learned that Lu Bu was the most powerful general in the game, and had a low loyalty to his starting lord [ed: he wasn't the only one], so I began every game by offering him a large bribe to join my side. If my ploy failed, I’d just restart the game. 

Wow. Again I reiterate:

I was nine years old. Not much has changed about the way I play games since then.

If that's what it takes to get on a pro player card

yes, that Brian Kibler.
Then I don't want to. His thoughts on D&D are even worse. Nate Dawg you should check it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment